- Selected applicants will serve as entry-level trainees in the DLA Pathways to Career Excellence (PaCE) Program performing a series of progressively responsible Contract Specialist functions, along with formal and on-the-job training (OJT).
- Please note, during the COVID-19 Pandemic, the Agency is operating in a maximum telework posture for all telework ready employees occupying a telework eligible position.
- The following duties will be performed in a developmental capacity.
- Procuring items awarded through formal advertising and/or through use of negotiation techniques
- Reviewing requisitions to determine that proper specifications or purchase descriptions are included in solicitation documents
- Considering financial responsibility of suppliers by evaluating contract performance on previous contracts
- Reviewing solicitations and amendments for adequacy and completeness
- Monitoring vendor performance for compliance with terms and conditions of the award
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
- 1102 Contracting
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Tour of Duty: Flexible
- Security Requirements: Nonsensitive
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, where reciprocity cannot be applied; unfavorably adjudicated background checks will be grounds for removal.
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Non-Exempt
- Selective Service Requirement: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
- Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
- Bargaining Unit Status: Yes
- Pre-Employment Physical: Not Required
- This position requires an Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Level I certification in the Contracting Career Field within 24 months, unless a Position Requirements Waiver is approved to extend.
- To qualify for a Contract Specialist, your resume and supporting documentation must support:
- Recent Graduate Eligibility
- To be eligible, applicants must meet ONE of the following requirements:
- - A person who was awarded a degree by an institution of higher education not more than two years before the date of the appointment - OR -
- A person who has completed a period of obligated service in a uniformed service of more than four years, and was awarded a degree by an institution of higher education not more than four years before the date of the appointment.
- You must provide supporting eligibility documentation (i.e., transcript or other official documentation of showing the date you completed or will complete the requirements for a degree and veterans' documents (including DD-214), if applicable).
- In addition to meeting the Recent Graduate eligibility education requirements, to qualify for a Contract Specialist, your resume and supporting documentation must support:
- A. Basic Contracting Requirement: A.) A baccalaureate degree from an accredited educational institution authorized to grant baccalaureate degrees OR B.) a current civilian employee in DoD or member of the Armed Forces, who occupied an 1102 position, contracting officer position, or comparable military contracting position with authority to award or administer contracts above the simplified acquisition threshold on or before September 30, 2000 are excluded from the requirements of A.) above.
- B. Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience that equipped you with the particular competencies to successfully perform the duties of the position, and is directly in or related to this position. In addition to meeting the Basic Contracting Requirement above, to qualify for the GS-07 grade level, specialized experience must be at the GS-5 grade level or equivalent under other pay systems in the Federal service, military or private sector. Creditable specialized experience includes:
- Experience performing developmental and/or recurring assignments in support of a local installation or in a centralized procurement activity
- Procuring supplies or services primarily through formal advertising or through limited use of negotiation techniques
- Reviewing requisitions to determine proper specifications or purchase descriptions are included in solicitation documents
- Contacting technical personnel to resolve questions of applicability of specifications, classifications of terms, or acceptance of substitute items
- Evaluating bids or proposals for compliance with specifications or purchase descriptions and applicable clauses
- C. Education Substitution: Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Education must be from a college or university accredited by an organization approved by the U.S. Department of Education. See http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx. YOU MUST SUBMIT A TRANSCRIPT as supplemental documentation. To qualify based on education in lieu of specialized experience, you must possess: a bachelor's degree AND meet Superior Academic Achievement -OR- possess one (1) full academic year of graduate education or law school. Superior Academic Achievement (SAA) is based on one of the following: (1) class standing (upper third standing in graduating class); (2) grade-point average (2.95 overall or over the last two years of bachelor's degree -or- 3.45 in your major field or over the last two years in your major); or (3) election to membership in a national scholastic honor society. One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of fulltime graduate study.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- You MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at time of application. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
- GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours that your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
- FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
- Additional Salary Information:
- For selected applicants new to Federal civilian service, this position does not meet the regulatory requirements for an advanced in hire rate, therefore, pay will be set at the Step 1 of the applicable rate range. For selected applicants who are current Federal civilian employees or have prior Federal civilian service, pay will be set in accordance with applicable pay setting laws, regulations, policies and guidance.
- For Important General Applicant Information and Definitions go to: http://www.dla.mil/portals/104/documents/careers/GenAppInfoDef.pdf
- Reemployed Annuitants: This position does not meet criteria for appointment of Reemployed Annuitants. The DoD criteria for hiring Reemployed Annuitants can be found at: http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/1400.25-V300.pdf
- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE: The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has established a Drug-Free Federal Workplace Policy. All applicants tentatively selected for DLA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with DLA for a period of six months. This policy extends to random testing for the use of illegal drugs by employees who occupy testing designated positions defined as sensitive in Section 7(d) of Executive Order 12564. The Defense Logistics Agency's Drug Free Workplace Plan's drug testing panel includes testing for the following illegal substances: marijuana, cocaine, opiates (codeine/morphine), 6-Acetylmorphine (heroin), phencyclidine, amphetamines (amphetamine/methamphetamine), methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA), oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone. ADVISORY: By using cannabidiol (CBD) products you are risking a positive drug test result for marijuana.
How You Will Be Evaluated
- You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- The assessments for this job will measure the following Competencies:
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal Skills
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Stress Tolerance
- Direct Hire Evaluation: Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. This vacancy will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority. All applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration. The rule of Three, Veteran's Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to this vacancy. We will evaluate your application for basic eligibility and to determine if your experience meets the basic qualification requirements described in the announcement. All applicants who meet the qualifications and other basic requirement are eligible for referral and selection consideration. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
- To apply for this position you must provide a complete Application Package. Each Application Package MUST include:
- Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed. If multiple resumes are submitted by an applicant, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible. IMPORTANT NOTE: Ensure that your resume does not contain any specialized characters, fonts, typefaces or formatting (e.g. tables, macros, etc.). It is also recommended that you convert/save your resume as a PDF prior to attaching to your application.
- Applicable documents to support the eligibility(s) for which you are applying. Please review the following link for a listing of the additional documents you will need to provide: Supporting Documents.
- If you are requesting a reasonable accommodation to the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, submit documentation to support your request, including the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form found here.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
- Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
- Review our benefits
- Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.